Tuesday, August 4, 2020

August 4, 2020. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Fog.

Yesterday morning when I looked out the bedroom window I was unable to see the water. The fog was thick. And when I went downstairs I realized I was not able to see the trees either, let alone the water. Usually, as the sun gets upo in the sky, the fog is burned off and the scenery returns. But not yesterday. By mid afternoon I could not see the guest house at all, nor could I see the big trees beside the property. Of course, no waves could be seen, just heard. It was not until late in the sfternoon that I was able to see the ocean and the guest house., and that was through the mist. I never was able to see Gill's house. By sunset, the fog was again thick. We had a lot of foggy days when we lived in Vancouver. I recall wal;king to school in the fog and hearing footsteps, but seeing no one. It was spooky. But then the air polution cleared up with the arrival of gas and oil furnaces and like magic, the foggy days decreased,. Of course, that was after we moved. All along we thought it was just fog but in reality, the wood and coal furnaces were putting stuff into the air that attached itself to the damp air. Amazing. But this fog is not due to polluted air. It is caused by hot land and cold water meeting. Many years ago, friends from work spent 4 day at our house. They never saw the water due to the fog. Yesterday they would have felt right at home. Pea soup fog. Wendy would have loved it.

No comments: