Saturday, August 8, 2020

August 8, 2020. Western Head, Nova Scotia. The Fly.

Anna makes a cup of tea for us at 4:00. She makes the herbal tea in my pretty teapot, given to me by Christina and Andrew and she serves the tea in lovely poprcelain mugs. During our tea time, we do two things: we discuss the accomplishments of the day and Anna makes sure no flies are in the living room. If she spots a fly on the window, she springs into action to get the fly swatter and kill the fly, which she does. She is lethat with the fly swatter. Then we try to figure out how the fly got into the house. We have not figured that out. Last evening, just before I was ready to go upstairs, I went into the garage to take paper to the recycle bin. As I came into the kitchen, a fly came with me. And he followed me around, flying circles around me. I tried to go up the stairs quickly because I did not wish that fly in my bedroom. But he was faster than me so I closed the door to discover him flying quickly around and around the room. The first thing I do in my bedroom is to turn on all the lights, especially the light behind my chair. It has the best reading lamp in the house. The lamp is ugly. We went looking for a light for the bedroom for me and went to a used furniture store in Liverpool. We told the owner what we wanted and he brought our the lamp. Both Ken and I just laughed ans told him that the lamp was too ugly to place in our new bedroom. He told us that the lamp gave wonderful light, and that once the lamp was in place, we would never look at it again. That was in 1999 and he was correct. I never see it. I just enjoy the good light. As I was sitting in my chair reading, the fly, who had followed me up from the garage, kept zooming around the room. He never stopped, until he discovered my ugly lamp. All of a sudden I heard a zapping and the flying ceased. My ugly lamp had incinerated the fly. And I never did need to try to find the flyswatter. My ugly lamp is now doubly useful. I was pleaased.

No comments: