Tuesday, November 30, 2021

November 30, 2021. Madison, Mississippi. Leaves.

Autumn leaves are different in the south. The large oak tree in my front yard just drops it's leaves after they have turned brown. No bright orange leaves as I saw on the oak tree in front of my house in Maryland. And the leaves come down over a long period of time. It will be late in January before all the leaves are on the ground. I miss the autumn foliage. There is nothing as good as the Ontario Fall with the red leaves of the maple trees. And the oranges and yellows are equally as beautiful in Maryland. All the hills at the farm in Pennsylvania were a thing of beauty. And I miss them. People in Mississippi often comment on the changes of the leaves in the fall. I just agree to be polite but I do not really see the difference. One ginko tree in my subdivision turned a beautiful yellow. I had not noticed it in the past. That is because folks tell me that the ginko tree does not turn yellow every year. Sometimes the leaves just turn brown and drop to the ground. But here we have had many chilly nights when the temperatures were at freezing. And the ginko turned a beautiful yellow. I always feel sorry for Lanny, the young man who tends to my yard. He blows and rakes the yard for months. Perhaps I will get to see Autumn foliage next Fall on my train trip across Canada. But for now, the only images are in my mind.

No comments: