Tuesday, February 15, 2022

February 15, 2022. Playa Royale, Nuevo Vallarta. The Winter Olympics.

Normally, I love to watch the Olympics, both summer and winter. But not in Mexico. Winter sports are not a big deal in Mexico so the only channel where you can watch the Olympics here is on the Canadian channel, and mostly they only watch the Canadians. So here in Mexico, we five are watching no Olympics on television. I do not miss it a bit, which surprises me. For some reason, I could not get excited about the 2022 Winter Olympics. I thought it as just me but during a podcast this week I discovered that I was not alone. No one was paying attention to the Olympics. The number of people watching these Olympics is half the number who watched during the 2018 Winter Olympics. This will be a big deal for NBC who paid a bundle of money to telecast the games. They will be required to refund lots of money to the companies who paid for a certain number of viewers. We will see what happens in the future. The real question is why people are turned off from this Winter Olympics. Part of the answer is China. People are irritated by China and as the games are being held in China, they have no patience. Perhaps the dopig scandals have been an issue. But no matter what, people are not watching the Olympics. But tomorrow evening, we all five will watch the Canadians play the Americans for the womens Gold medal. At least we will watch it if we can find it on our television. Surely the Canadian channel will show the game. But when we wanted to watch the semi final game played by the Canadian women the channel was showing curling so no telling. I hope the Olympics will be restored to glory because I love the games. Next Winter Olympics will be held in France in 2026. I hope to be ready.

No comments: