Sunday, February 6, 2022

February 6, 2022. Playa Royale, Nuevo Vallarta. Jackson, 1964.

I spotted the book on a table beside Ken's chair in his workshop in Nova Scotia. He must have brought the book with him from Mississippi expecting to read it one summer. But it was still waiting. Anna and I spotted it last year when we were organizing the workshop and turning it into a bedroom. Immediately I told Anna that I would take the book back to Mississippi, which I did. To my knowledge, I had never seen the book before. In Mississippi, I put the book on the shelf with all the other Mississippi books, which is right beside Ken's recliner chair in the TV room. When I am coming to Mexico, I bring a case of books and magazines. I carefully select the books I have been wanting to read but have not been able to get to. I included the Jackson book in my case. The author is Calvin Trillin, a journalist unknown to me. I asumed that the whole book was the story of Jackson in 1964, which saw much violence. Much to my surprise, on the cover page was an insciption signed by the author, made out to me. So evidently I had seen that book before. Ken and I drove to Oxford, Mississippi. While there, we visited "Square Books", a wonderful book store. While there, Calvin Trillin was having a book signing. And Ken had him endorse the book to me. I Have no recollection of ever seeing that book before. The book is actually much more interesting than I thought it would be. It is a series of the authors writings dealing with race, starting in Jackson in 1964 and ending in 1995, all over the US. It is a fascinating read and is much more than anticipated. Calvin Trillin is white and he is discussing race. I have enjoyed it immensely. Now it will return to Mississippi but now put on the shelf with all the other Mississippi books I have read. Finally, the book is back where it belongs. Ken would be pleased.

1 comment:

Joe Rubin said...

Hi, Ruth! I owe you more than this, but Calvin Trillin is prolific and quite well known. And still writing, for what that's worth. Very, very well regarded. Wishing you well. I will be in touch soon.

Joe