Friday, December 9, 2022

December 9, 2022. Madison, Mississippi. A New Helper.

Both Christin and Portia wanted me to hire another helper for the afternoon shift. so we called the same company, Sitters Inc. to find a helpful person from 3 to 8 plus 9 to 4 on Saturday and Sunday.  So on short notice, they found K.K. a young woman who is also attending Junior College.  The first day, on Monday, she just came to find me and get to know me.  She was supposed to arrive at 3:00.  Instead, she knocked on the door at 3:40.  With no apologies.

I could only think of two tasks she needed to do, which was take my glucose test and serve my dinner, the one Portia had prepared during the morning.  She was clumsy with her hands so the glucose test was difficult for both of us.  But she finally did it.  And she heated and brought me supper.  The rest of the time she sat in the living room and worked on her homework.  Both Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday she was late 20 to 30 minutes.  With no explanations.

Portia had warned her not to talk on the phone at work.  I do not like it.  On Wednesday she got up and went outside.  She was gone 5 minutes with no explanations.  A few minutes later she went outside again but this time she was gone for over 20 minutes.  When I asked her what she was doing she told me she was on the phone to her father.  I reminded her that she was being paid to look after me.  She was not pleased.

Today she did not appear at all.  Portia and I were very late getting home from the Oncologist she Portia was still here when K.K. should have arrived.  So Portia called her to find that she could not come today.  Evidently she contacted the boss Ben.  But he has no record of her call or text.  So I fired her.

My neighbor Donna has kindly agreed to take my glucose test in the afternoon and on the weekend.  And I must look after myself the rest of the time.  A normal person could take the test themselves but not me.  My vision and my shaking makes it impossible for me.  Since March 2018, Sitters Inc. has provided us with excellent helpers, until now.  K.K. was hopeless.  Now she is gone.  Thank you God.

No comments: