Tuesday, August 29, 2023

August 29, 2023. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Stones.

 The first year we moved to Nova Scotia I brought 6 carefully selected stones from our property and placed them carefully on the window sill in the dining room.  Stones are everywhere here.  Every one unique.  And beautiful.  Just to the right of us is a cobble beach, which is made up of different sizes of cobblestones, on the way to becoming sand.  The cobble beach is beautiful to see but difficult to walk along.  But I like the look.

Now, 24 years later, I have 17 stones on my window sill.  Again, each is unique.  But none brought into the dining room by me.  No one has ever admitted to adding to my collection but I know they did not get there by themselves.  Once upon a time, the stones were nicely spaced apart.  But now they are almost touching.    Some day, I must cull my collection.  But now yet.    Every stone is unique and beautiful.

There are stones everywhere in Nova Scotia, all left over from the age of the glaciers.   We have huge pillow racks and big rocks just setting by themselves.  In fact, you could know you were in Nova Scotia because of the rocks.  And some of them reside in my dining room, left by invisible hands.  Interesting.

No comments: