Tuesday, January 22, 2013

January 22, 2013. Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico. Hockey.

Every night this week the TV is showing a hockey game.   Of course, we turn on the game, as we four are Canadians after all.   Actually, I should say that the hockey game is on the television set but no one is  watching it.  The sound is turned down low, just enough to hear if a goal is scored.   Then we all turn our eyes to the set to see the replay of the goal.  Everyone here is reading and just glancing at the game every so often, or when a goal is scored.

This game is between Winnipeg and Washington and Washington is not winning.  The Washington players are not happy about this and seem to start a fight every few minutes.   Hockey is a wonderful game and why the hockey brains trust allows the fights to be a part of the game is beyond me.    I watch to see the speed of the game not watch two fellows trying to bash each other with their fists.  It makes no sense to me.   But I am not in charge of the National Hockey League, so what I do is to turn off the TV whoever a fight breaks out.   Right now, when four of us were watching or listening, I can not turn off the set, but I refuse to watch any of the rest of the game.  It is actually a rather foolish gesture on my part because no one knows but me, but I feel compelled to do something about the ridiculous fighting that is allowed to continue in the league.  I have taken a stand even though I am the one who misses the rest of the game.  There must be a better way to speak my mind.

No comments: