Sunday, May 4, 2014

May 4, 2014. Barboursville, West Virginia. Onions.

I have always felt that a persons life is similar to the growth of an onion. As the onion grows, more layers are added and the onion gets bigger. For a human, we start as a small baby. Year after year, the same baby adds competence and knowledge. Soon their world is bigger and the baby is no longer a baby. The former baby knows many people and has influence. The world of the baby is now large. The last step is for the world to get smaller as we age. Obviously, the analogy is not precise but I believe that the layers of my onion have gotten smaller. It is a normal process of aging I think but it is certainly true. The people in my world are departing. My cousin Diane has died as has my sister and my son Andrew. Very few folks depend on me now. The layers of my onion have shrunk. When I get very old, I always assumed we would live in a single room, because that was all we would need. I did hope that I would never live in a basement room!! I hope that when I am old and all shrunk up I will live in a room with lots of windows. Then I will be happy.

1 comment:

susan weiss said...

Dear Ruth (and Ken), There are still MANY people who depend on you! Andrew's family, David and his family, Ken and you mutually, and your friends and former colleagues who have continued to revere you, your wisdom, your optimistic strength. I know that many of us here at Gateway still have many things about life to learn from you, along with the immense social, human, and business smarts that you imparted over to us during the 22 years that you were our happy commander in chief.

Please know that you are the recipient of our continued interest and affection.

With many hugs for you both, Susan (and Ira and our clan) Weiss