Wednesday, May 11, 2016

May 11, 2016. Madison, Mississippi. On Being Thin.

Being thin is overrated.  I read a headline today on the Internet.  Actually, I did not read the complete article because I only wanted to hear about being over weight not being a problem for health so I stopped reading at the headline, which actually said "You Do Not Die From Being Overweight",

Ian, Ken's cousin who lives in Ottawa, went to the doctor for his check up.  He was told to lose weight as his blood pressure was higher than normal and his cholesterol was high.  Now he takes medication for both and he is being careful with his portions.  But on the phone this week, before I saw this article, I suggested to him that being thin was overrated.   Recently, several friends have had massive heart attacks, and they were thin.  Just this week, friends Rae and Byron  had a son die from a heart attack and he was thin and fit.  They spend summers along the shore from us in Nova Scotia but live in up state New York.  The son managed the farm for Byron, who still practices medicine.  Recently, we have had a series of thin, fit people have heart attacks.  It does not seem fair or right.

A year ago I was thin.  My bones stuck out in all directions and I took three naps a day.  Now I am round which the Oncologist says is a good thing.  "It is not time to diet yet", says she.  Since I read the headline I can rest easy.  You do not die from being a little round and being thin is not necessarily a good thing.  That is my story and will stick with it.

No comments: