Friday, May 6, 2016

May 6, 2016. Madison, Mississippi. Factual or Bragging.

Tonight Ken and I had dinner with Christina and the girls.   We had a discussion about bragging.  The school year is coming to an end.  Along with it comes awards and grade point averages.   My position was that bragging could not really be bragging if it was actually true.   Ken thought bragging was bragging.  I suspect that it all depends who brought up the topic.  If someone asks Kate her gpa, it is not bragging when she answers accurately but if she brings up the topic herself, that could be bragging.  I think that makes the difference.

One thing I know for sure is that grandparents are allowed to brag on their grandchildren.  Mary Frances received two awards from Jackson Preparatory School.  One was for receiving an over 95% average in all her courses.  The other was excellence in Grade 10 English, the only award given for the grade 10 students.  And Kate for her first year at Mississippi College earned a grade point average of 3.88 out of a top of 4.  Of course, I am not bragging.  These are just the facts.  Congratulations to both Kate and Mary Frances for all their hard work and diligent efforts.  We are all proud of their accomplishments and we love them dearly whether or not they receive the awards.   But from now on, I will not brag until someone asks how the girls are doing.  Then I will just give the facts!!

No comments: