Saturday, May 14, 2016

May 14, 2016. Madison, Mississippi. Boats on the Reservoir.

The boating contingent was out in force today.  This  Ross Barnett Reservoir is a relatively small lake, compared to the lakes I have known in the past but there are still small boats and bigger boats and slow boats and fast boasts.  What we do not see are big boats such as we see in Puerto Vallarta.  Today was a perfect day for boating so today everyone took their family for a boat trip.

I sat on the lower deck for 90 minutes and watched the boats stream by me..  When I first sat down,  2 men were fishing using a trolling motor.  They did not see me but I could listen to their conversation, which was all about fish.  The first thing I noted was the size of the motor on their small boat.   When they left for home, they could have gotten there in 3 minutes, as their 350 hp motor was speeding them along in their 16 foot boat.  And I saw several so called cigarette type boats that move very fast with only spots for 2 people.   The lake is not connected to anything else so I wonder why they need to go so fast?  I saw many fast boats today which makes no sense to me.

Pontoon boats are common on the reservoir.  By my count, the ratio of pontoon type boats to regular boats is 3 to 1.  They are useful on this lake.  Whole extended families could easily be comfortable in a pontoon boat.  Many boats drove slowly along the shore, looking at all the docks and houses, eating and drinking as they went.  They waved to me and took pictures.   Some pontoon boats are small and look like bathtubs with walls and a motor while some are big with two floors.   Most have a platform and a cover for shade and comfortable benches around the whole boat.  Pretty simple but useful, as long as you only go out on a pleasant day.   They are not designed for rough weather.  But today was a perfect day to be on the water in the reservoir in Mississippi.  And I enjoyed the parade as the boats passed me by.

No comments: