Monday, May 2, 2016

May 2, 2016. Madison, Mississippi. The Bath Seat.

Our bathtub is beautiful and it is big, but it is useless because we can not safely get in and out.  We have owned this home for over a year.  Ken has gotten into the tub once.  I will not come near it.  Several weeks ago,  Ken sent me a link on the internet showing a bathtub seat that lowers a person into the tub and then raises you up so you are able to get out.  And it was on sale.  When he first noticed the seat he paid no attention because it was expensive but when it went on sale he thought we might consider it.

The reason Ken wants a bathtub full of hot water is because of our neuropothy legs.  Mine are worse than his but they still hurt.  He read an article saying that soaking your legs in warm water relieves the pain, so he is keen to put our legs in warm water.  I suggested we use a trash can filled with warm water.  We had no further conversations.

One day last week a box appeared in our bathroom full of white objects.  I knew immediate what it was.  Some assembly was required.  One afternoon, Ken called me to see if I could make use of the seat so with no water in the tub, I got in holding the grab bars, sat in the chair, and lowered myself into the tub by pushing the buttons on the controls.   Green to put me down and blue to raise me up.  Red to turn it off.  I could actually get off the chair and out of the tub without falling.  Now the next time we will turn on the water.

Of course, when you solve one problem you get another one.  Our tub is huge and uses a full tank of hot water.  Even then there is not enough water so Ken has turned up the control on the hot water heater so we can get more hot water.  Now, when I wash the pots, I must be careful not to burn my hands.  My neuropothy hands don't have much feeling.  My legs are going to feel great so it will be worth all the trouble….I hope.

No comments: