Sunday, May 22, 2016

May 22, 2016. Madison, Mississippi. Farewell & Welcome Party.

I suspect that our friends in Nova Scotia think we are nuts but we are doing it anyway.  My friend Gill is in Nova Scotia and has been since the end of April.  Soon she will leave for New York and then Florida before returning near the end of June.   Ken and I arrive on July 13.  We decided to have a farewell party for our friends, the Sutherland Family from Mississippi,  who leave on the 17th, and combine it with a welcome party for us.  Both Ken and I are now in better condition than last year so we need to celebrate.  The problem was how to invite people when we are far away.   Gill volunteered to look after inviting our local friends, but she will soon leave.  She has been doing it this past week.

So she has busily inviting friends for a party at our house that will not be held for two months.  People are somewhat surprised but most have accepted the invitation.  She has had a couple of "I have no idea how I will be in two months".   It takes some explaining for Gill to let folks know that she is inviting on my behalf because I will not be in Nova Scotia until a few days before the party.  She and I have laughed that she could just say that she is my social secretary.   So far she has done a great job and I am grateful for her help.  But somehow or other, I do not see Gill as a social secretary.  Does not fit her job description.

No comments: