Wednesday, February 22, 2017

February 22, 2017. Playa Royale, Mexico. Curling.

In Parry Sound, Ontario, where Ken was born and raised, there was a curling rink.  Ken curled once.  Curling was for the wealthy of the town and he was never invited to curl again but at least he knew something about the sport.  I have never been in a curling rink even though there were curling clubs in both Vancouver and Toronto where I lived at a time when I might have learned the game.  For several years I taught with Dotty W.  who was a good curler.  She and her husband often went away on weekends for bonspiels.  They won.  And she invited us to join her club in order to learn the game.  But Ken was at medical school at the time and we had no extra money so we did not play.

Several years ago, when we were in Liverpool, we watched all week the Canadian Brier, which is the Canadian men's championship.  The goal for us was to learn the rules and figure out the strategy.  We loved the game.  We were hooked.  Here in Mexico, the TV includes a Canadian sports channel, so we get to watch some curling along with hockey games.  Right now, the Women's curling championship is being held  in St. Catherines, Ontario, The Scotties Tournament of Hearts.  My problem is that they only show the games, beginning at 10:00 pm.  By the time the games are over is way after my bedtime so I am staying up too late.  I want them to show these games in the mornings when the games are being played not late at night.  I hope this weekend will be better.  I like to watch every game, especially when eating my breakfast.  I am betting on Ontario to win.

No comments: