Wednesday, April 12, 2017

April 12, 2017. Madison, Mississippi. Spring.

Elizabeth loves the Spring.  The thing she likes about it is the hopefulness.  And the variety in the greens.  The wildflowers are popping up everywhere.  And she says that every day more flowers come up in her garden.   "Spring is my favorite time of year," says Elizabeth.

Birds are everywhere.  Ken has refilled every feeder.  I know that we should not feed the birds when we are not here all year.  The birds become dependent on our seeds, then we stop feeding them.  But we like to watch them up so close.   The problem with birds in the Spring is that they move on and fly north.  When we arrived, we saw many white birds in the middle of the reservoir diving for dinner.  Every day I watched and every day I tried to find out their name.  I knew they were terns but I could never figure out what type, even with the binoculars.  They were too far away.  Now they are gone.

We still have the large white birds with the black tips on their wings.  I also have no clue what they are but at least they are still here.  Again they stay well out in the middle of the reservoir.   A pair of Canada Geese nested beside our dock.  We see them paddling around with their three goslings up and down the shore.  One of the geese has taken to sitting on top of the gazebo on the lower deck watching us while we sit on the deck.  It is a pretty sight.

The trees are now in full leaf.  Even the Lazarus tree provides shade.   Spring is an exciting time of the year.  And it is pleasant too.  Not too hot or not too cold.  I am enjoying my Springtime in Mississippi.

No comments: