Friday, April 28, 2017

April 28, 2017. Madison, Mississippi. Meal Habits.

Being adaptable is the key to success as you get old.  For instance, the nature of our meals is peculiar.  Ken has a type of Parkinson's Disease.  He has difficulty swallowing so he eats slowly.  And he often has ear infections which affects his hearing.  When he chews his food, he can not hear so he can either chew or listen, but not at the same time.  It is easier for him to eat alone.

When my bones were hurting, sitting in a hard wood chair was difficult for any period of time, so it was easier, when we did not have company,  for me to sit in a comfortable living room chair.  We started this in Nova Scotia, with Ken sitting at the dining table and me in the adjacent living room.    We have continued the practice.  Here in Mississippi, Ken eats at the table in the breakfast room and I in my reading chair in the living room.  And we both read while we eat.

Sometimes, when my eyes are weary, I watch TV.  Today at lunch, I discovered three channels right beside each other devoted to dogs and other pets.  Who knew?  The program I saw was all about selecting a dog from a shelter.  Three families wanted the same dog and 3 experts made the decision.  Goodness.  How many people would ever watch that show?  I guess our meal time habits are just as odd as the TV shows.    But we have age as an excuse.

No comments: