Sunday, April 9, 2017

April 9, 2017. Madison, Mississippi. Neighbors.

Our neighbors on the left side are pleasant friendly people.  But we do not see them much.  Since we moved in two years ago I have seen them 5 times, two of them were when I took over pecans for Christmas.   Another was when she brought us half an ice cream cake to welcome us to the neighborhood.    One problem is our schedule.  They spend 6 months in North Carolina while we are only here spring and fall.

Friday,  I was just heading out for my walk when they pulled into their driveway.  She was her normal friendly soul and we chatted.  She promised that soon she would invite us over for a glass of wine.    I laughed because she had said that before but I told her it would be lovely.  Yesterday I received a text invitation.  On short notice, she was inviting neighbors over for a drink on Sunday at 5:00.

The event was lovely as is their home.  We got to know 5 new neighbors so we were pleased.  It was interesting to note that everyone was born and raised in Mississippi, which is very different from Maryland and DC where people are from all over the country.  And they were all interesting people.

When we moved to Bethesda I noted quickly that when folks had lived in Bethesda for a long time, their social calendar was full.  They were not interested in making new friends.  They had no time.  We made good friends and we were active socially but always with people who had settled in Bethesda recently.  The same is true with Jackson people except we are an exception.  Very few people move to Jackson.  At our age, we do not want much of a social life so we are fine but it is interesting to note that two years after we moved into the neighborhood, we are meeting neighbors for the first at a social event.  The event was pleasant but I noted that their living room looks right out onto our deck.  I must remember not to go out in skimpy clothes!!

No comments: