Thursday, April 12, 2018

April 12, 2018. Madison, Mississippi. Trapped.

On Wednesday, my friend Wendy asked in an e mail how I was getting along and how was I feeling. My first response is always "I am fine". But this time I took a bit of self evaluation and decided that I was actually not fine. I was feeling trapped. So I have figured out a plan. The reality is that I am trapped by my circumstances. I can not drive. Ken is too weak to drive. My immune system is poor so I can not really join any groups or book clubs or concerts even if I could find a friend to pick me up, because I do not wish to be around people who might have an infection. So I am really trapped. Here is my plan. I feel better already just thinking about my plan. Tomorrow morning my neighbor Sandy is coming for coffee. Next Monday, Eleanor will pick me up and I will take her out for lunch. Later in the week, Susan M. has been invited for coffee with me. And so I will invite a friend to come and chat. My circle of friends is not large in Mississippi but it is enough. And I will e mail or text my friends who live other places. Our friend Bran Collier lived in California. He was a retired Salvation Army. When he became unable to go out, he wrote a note each day to someone one who had sent him a Christmas card the previous year. And he would tell me what book he was reading, using my card as a book mark. This kept his contacts alive and well. And he enjoyed himself doing it. My home is lovely. We can function on one level. The deck overlooking the reservoir is delightful. We have helpers for Ken who are wonderful. So my situation is ideal even if Ken does not totally regain his strength. And now I am no longer feeling trapped.

No comments: