Monday, April 16, 2018

April 15, 2018. Madison, Mississippi. Memory.

My memory is fallible. I am always astonished to discover that something I perform every day has been left out of my routine. How can this happen? Sometimes I will discover that I have forgotten to brush my teeth before going to bed even though I have brushed my teeth before sleeping my whole life. Every so often, I see that my morning medications are still in the box beside my sink. Evidently, studies show that when an event occurs every day, the brain ceases to pay attention to register what has happened, so we do not notice. But it seems weird to me. Last night, after I went to bed, I remembered that I had not written my blog. How could this happen? I have performed the same actions since I was 70 and now I forget to complete the task. Unfortunately, I was almost asleep so decided to write my wee note in the morning but I am still perplexed and have been trying figure out why I was negligent. And I have an excuse. For the first time in my life,I am responsible for filling Ken's pill boxes. In Mexico, the nurses performed that task. Ken has asked me to keep track for him. His situation is complicated and I was not looking forward to the task so I put it off as long as possible, which was when his boxes were empty. On Saturday I filled his night box of medications. My deadline had arrived. The doctors here have taken Ken off several medications so I had to watch the list carefully, then find the correct bottle. Fortunately, Rita had placed each different medication in a plastic baggie and wrote on the bag the name and function. And she placed all the baggies in alphabetical order with one drawer for the meds that Ken was using and another for all the others. Her organization made my life easier. The morning pill boxes were more difficult because I still had 3 boxes full of pills but neither Ken nor I knew who filled them and by whom. My new task was to remove the pills and figure out what was needed and I did. It was not easy and I only completed one week of pills before watching the hockey game. My excuse for not writing my wee web log was Ken's fault. I was preoccupied with his pill boxes and forgot everything else in my life. In addition, The Caps lost another game!! That is my story and I am sticking to it. Nothing to do with memory loss due to old age.

No comments: