Thursday, April 5, 2018

March 5, 2018. Madison, Mississippi. Southern Books.

My habit has always been to read the history and literature of the place we were visiting or living. I knew nothing about the history of Galveston when we moved there in 1964 but their excellent Rosenberg library caught me up to speed. I read everything I could put my hands on dealing with the history of Galveston. I feel sure I made myself a nuisance spewing out facts and figures of Galveston. When we visited Scotland, I read the history of Scotland. The same with Ireland. When looking at a place, the history makes more sense so I have enjoyed my tradition. Now I live in Mississippi so have been reading about Mississippi and the Civil War. Right now I have sitting beside me two books, both memoirs, that will help me understand the southern traditions. The first one I will read is "Lanterns On The Levee", by William Percy. I am reading it now because I watched the show on the Delta on Mississippi Roads. I have read it long ago, but not since I have seen the Delta, so now I will read with new eyes. The book was published in 1942. My next book to read is "Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady", by Florence King. Over the years, I have read and enjoyed many articles by Florence King. Her wit is cutting and has always made me laugh. Now I am reading the memoir of growing up in the south and I will laugh. Literature is important to Mississippi folks so I will read or reread much of their literature. I have my work cut out for me. So here I go.

No comments: