Tuesday, April 24, 2018

April 24, 2018, Madison, Mississippi. The Repairman.

The freezer on our older refrigerator was frosting up. Ice was everywhere. I decided that that Sub Zero fridge must have a design flaw because this was the second time it has happened to the same fridge. A similar model had the same problem in Nova Scotia too. What happens is that the drain for the frost free plugs up so the water accumulates in the bottom and freezes so soon the door will not close properly. Thus frost gets on everything and the bottom is full of solid ice. Not good. We have a home owners warranty so I called them on Friday. A repairman would come on Monday between 8 and 5. I was to get a call 30 minutes before the arrival. I was happy. At 12:30, a lady called to tell me she was coming in 20 minutes. Now I have had many appliances repaired but never by a lady, so I was pleased and surprised. Soon she walked in the door with all her tools. She was petite, well groomed and thin. When I told her my problem, she agreed with me that that model had a design flaw. A new part has been designed to solve the problem. Fortunately she had the new part in her truck. She got to work and melted all my ice and installed the new part. She was efficient and competent. I asker her where she learned to be an appliance repairman and she told me that she had attended a technical school in Ridgeland. She intended to become an electrician but decided at the last minute to take the 10 month course for appliance repairs. The day after she graduated, she was hired by Sears Appliance Repairs and she has been working for them ever since. She enjoys her job because she says that every task is different. And she likes the money too. There is a new world out there for the ladies. She did a great job.

No comments: