Monday, March 18, 2019

March 18, 2019. Madison, Mississippi. My Jacket.

Today I wore my jacket, the blue, green white and red jacket that Peppy tried to throw away. After Ken died and the family had gathered, the girls were selecting a jacket of Ken's to keep for themselves and they all wanted that jacket because it was "so retro". But I told them that jacket was mine and would stay in the closet. Many years ago I retrieved it from a trash can. Sara Lou and I each bought a jacket at John's golf club. It is a windbreaker with a lining and a hood, the perfect travel jacket. And it is big so a sweater could fit under and it was wind proof. When we went on trips with people from work which we did often, everyone wore pretty little light sweaters to us in the evening. Often we would be dining outside in the tropics and a light sweater or jacket would be needed. But I took my blue, green, white and red windbreaker., Mostly I did not need to wear it but I would put it on the back of the chair incase I got chilly. This went on for years so eventually I began to be teased about my inelegant jacket. One year while dining outside in a magnificent location overlooking a deep chasm in the D.R. my jacket was missing. Everyone was ready to return to our hotel and I could not find my jacket. At first I thought that I did not bring the jacket. No one said a word, until someone giggled. And I found my jacket in a trash can. Everyone roared with laughter. And I continued to wear my jacket, the one that cost $19. and was intended to wear golfing. Today I wore my jacket with pride, knowing that I was wearing a desirable jacket that was retro. And I laughed.

No comments: