Sunday, March 24, 2019

March 24, 2019. Madison, Mississippi. Sweet Potato Queens.

Jill Conner Brown wrote the books. There are 8, many reaching the top of the best seller lists. Now the first book has been made into a musical, which premiered in Jackson this month. I heard an interview with JCB on PBS on the program Conversations and discovered that the first production anywhere was being held in Jackson so I immediately ordered tic kets for todays matinee. All the other shows had been sold out. Kashina came with me or rather, she took me there. Turned out that she had never been in a theater before and certainly not a musical. Jill Conner Brown was born and raised in Jackson and still lives here. She has always written humor. The book is a spoof of southern women and is very funny. And saucy too. I enjoyed the show and its many songs, 18 in all. And sometimes there were 3 verses to the songs. If it ever gets to Broadway, somebody will cut out some songs and verses. But the lines are clever and spicy and the audience loved it all, which surprised me because the audience mostly had grey hair. The cast received a standing ovation. For the past few years Ken and I have not attended concerts or plays. Now I hope to be able to rectify the loss. Today was the first. I am hoping not to be back on Ibrance so when I am in Nova Scotia I could attend the Astor theater for their shows and movies. At least I will if Gill will take me. I enjoyed the show today. It was great sport.

No comments: