Sunday, March 3, 2019

March 3, 2019. Madison, Mississippi. The Brain.

Every so often, I have noticed that my brain goes off duty. I see it in other people too. Often when something incredibly stupid is done by someone, others will ask,"What were they thinking?" The answer is that they were not thinking. Their brain was off duty temporarily. For instance, yesterday I spent fifteen minutes looking for my regular glasses. A pair of reading glasses is beside every chair where I sit as well as beside the microwave. Often I put on the reading glasses to read something, like directions for the microwave, and I forget to put back on my regular glasses. So I often search. The places where I might have left them showed nothing so I looked at everyplace else where I also keep reading glasses. No luck, so I decided to watch a bit of TV to try to think through what I could possibly have done with my glasses. Finally, I tried to rub my eye, only to discover that my regular glasses were already on my head. Oops. Earlier in the week I took a new plastic glass from the pantry to take water to my chair. In order to obtain the cold water, the door of the fridge must be opened. I then must hold the cup under the spigot while pushing a button. So I did it but water came down my hand and on the floor. I assumed I was not paying attention and had the cup off center. I did it again to the same result. I tried again, watching more carefully. Water still spilled everywhere. Finally I looked at the cup. No wonder water was pouring out. There was a hole in the Bottom. Now if my brain was on alert, I should have checked the cup first but I assumed the whole mess was my fault. When I was much younger, I often would schedule two appointments at the same time. I now pay more attention but how I could write down an appointment on the same calendar as another appointment I was never been able to figure out. But every now and then, when I am not paying attention, my brain goes off duty. Keeps me humble for sure.

No comments: