Thursday, March 21, 2019

March 21, 2019. Madison, Mississippi. Polishing Silver.

Great reward comes from polishing silver. What was once black now is shining bright. So my problem is what took me so long to get around to polishing silver. Last week I set out all the silver in the breakfast room. I told Kashina that the next time she was here we would together polish the silver. She set out an old sheet on the table so we would be ready. But when we were ready to get to work, we could not find any silver polish, which means that I had not polished the silver since we moved in in the Spring of 2015. I could not imagine that we had no polish. I told Kashina where to find it but the only thing she found was polish for brass and stainless steel. No silver polish. So we were forced to wait. My neighbor and I went for a walk the same afternoon and offered to pick up a jar, which she did. Yesterday was the big day. After our excursion to the museums and lunch, we still had time to polish the silver. Two interesting occurred. First, Kashina had never polished silver so I had to teach her, which took a minute. And with both of us working, we were 80% finished in an hour. Kashina is an assistant nurse, not a housekeeper and her fingers were sore from rubbing. But we both agreed that our efforts payed off. The silver, which is back in the china cabinet, shines out at you. With another 30 minutes we will be done for another few years. Polishing silver is a little like walking, in that doing the activity with a friend makes the task easier. I will wait until Saturday when Kashina will be here. Until then, I am still beaming with pride when I look at the silver in the cabinet. But why did it take me so long to get around to the task? I will never know.

No comments: