Thursday, May 27, 2021

May 27, 2021. San Antonio, Texas. Moose and Lincoln.

I have been here in the home of David and Suzanne for ten days, living with Moose and Lincoln, the family dogs. Because men were working in the backyard, the dogs must stay inside most of the time so I have been really living right beside them. They are big dogs, Weimereiners, and sweet. Also living in the house are the four girls so all day, as the girls pass through the room where I am reading I get to talk with them, one by one. It has been delightful. Moose is my favorite dog. Even as a puppy, he would come and place his head on your knee and wait to be petted. He has never poked me with his paws demanding attention. He just keeps his head on your leg looking hopeful. He still does the same thing. But now he is old and so spends much of the day asleep in his bed. But he still comes to be loved. He is a very smart dog but at this point, not very energetic. At this point in his life, he is not a bit interested in fetching. When Davis is working with Lincoln, which he does every day, Moose just stands beside David to be petted. Lincoln is a working dog. He will retrieve until David finally quits. He is a wonderful hunting dog and very energetic. The girls have been taking the dogs for a walk every day which is good. David says that if Lincoln does not get a good long walk every day the dog becomes impossible to live with. He loves to be with the people so when he is ready to rest in th day, he comes to lie down right by my feet, as close as possible. If you let him, he would sit on your lap. Moose sleeps in his bed but Lincoln wants to stay as close to you as possible. It is endearing. I have enjoyed living with these two well behaved dogs, Moose and Lincoln. The girls take the dogs outside the front when the dogs need to do their business and when the men are working in the back yard. I just call for one of the girls because I am afraid the dogs will not follow my instructions. But I let the dogs out the back when the men are gone. They are used to being inside so when they come to the door,I let them in. And I love on them.

No comments: