Wednesday, May 5, 2021

May 5, 2021. Madison, Mississippi. Short but Powerful.

May is not supposed to be a storm month but we have just had back to back storms. When I was reading e mails yesterday sitting on the couch away from the windows I heard a huge crash so I looked outside. The sky was pitch black. And the rain was a torrent. The wind was loud and the thunder and lightning was coming right together so I knew it was close. But I still did not move to find my safe place in the basement. I am not yet a true Mississippian. All my friends were in their safe place. My across the street neighbor came over to tell me that a tree branch had fallen on my garage. At this moment, Chantes and his crew are busily cutting up and cleaning up the mess. The power came on today at noon. A power pole on Post Road snapped in two taking all wires down with it so we lost power immediately although I was not aware of it until later. I was fortunate. The big limb that came down only left a smaller branch on the garage so the only damage was a few roofing tiles that need to be replaced. Chantes will look ater that. I called him yesterday evening and he was here this morning. My neighbor Donna left me a power pack for my phone so I was in good shape. With two good flashlights I was able to prepare and eat a salad for dinner. And I read all evening with the trusty flashlights. The outside temperature was in the low 60s so the house was comfortable. Now all is well in Roses Bluff Subdivision. This storm only lasted 20 minutes but it was powerful. There are trees down everywhere in town. Strong and powerful is not a good combination. Once again, I just got lucky.

No comments: