Tuesday, October 25, 2022

October 25, 2022. Madison, Mississippi. My Friend Gillian.

Today I received an e mail that sounded more like Gill.  Up until now, her e mails were full of anguish, which one could expect.  But today she told me that she is very busy, doing all the tasks at David's house that must be done when the person living there was not expecting to die.  For instance, finding a home for David's cat is not an easy task.  And David was supporting a young man at college who was living on the third floor of David's home.  Where will he go to live now that David is no longer supporting him?  And thousands of other details I am sure are on her plate.

She will leave Seattle on November 5 and will spend a week in New York, with the family.  Then she will go home to Toronto.  She and Tim are writing the obit for the Globe & Mail.  And they are planning the funeral, which will be held in Toronto, in the same chapel as Alan's funeral.  David's ashes will be held on the wall alongside Alan's.  Another spot will be saved next to them for Gill, when her time comes.

When such a tragic event occurs, I am left with no way to help Gill.  When Alan died in 1981, friend Mary M. and I flew to Toronto to help Gill and the two young boys.  But I can not help Gill now.  I would be no help to Gill in Seattle.  So I e mail her every day, just a short hello so she knows I am thinking of her.  Other than keeping her in my thoughts and prayers, that is the only thing I could think of to help.  I was grateful to see her e mail today.  She is in work mode once again.  I am pleased for her.

No comments: