Monday, October 31, 2022

October 31, 2022. Madison, Mississippi. The Halloween Party.

Every year I enjoy the Halloween Party, held at the home of friends Greta Barbour and John.  They call it a porch party.  Their front porch stretches across the whole house and is 18 feet deep.  And it is full of chairs and benches.  John cooks a big pot of Louisiana food.  And they serve hot mulled wine.  So as a guest, you can just help yourself, find a comfortable chair on the porch and watch the trick or treaters come on the porch for their candy.  I love the party because I get to chat with all my Mississippi friends.  And I meet new people too.  People can spend an hour and leave, or stay all evening.  It is a great party, loved by the old and the young.

Greta Barbour and John invite all their friends and relatives along with their neighbors.  The neighborhood has sidewalks so the children go out to gather their candy with one of the daddies accompanying.  The rest of us just watch the fun.  Sister Eleanor bakes dozens of ginger cookies which are the hit of the party.  No matter how many hundred of cookies she bakes, we always run out, they are so good.  Tonight the weather is perfect.  No rain and 73 degrees.

Unfortunately, I had to miss the party because I seem to have a cold.  I am coughing and sneezing so decided I should stay home, which I did.  Mostly I ignore colds.  But not tonight.  Instead I watched Antique Roadshow, my normal TV watching on Mondays.  And the World Series was rained out too.  Tomorrow I have also cancelled an excursion with Chris, my Lyft driver.  We were driving to Natchez for lunch.   We have rescheduled for the 15th.  Tomorrow I will hear about the party from Christina.  I am sure it was great.  Maybe next year I will be able to attend.  

No comments: