Friday, January 13, 2023

January 13, 2023. Playa Royale, Nuevo Vallarta. Gill's Board.

Many years ago, Gill gave us a serving board, made by hand, with an indentation at one end and a flat board at the other.   Gill, Ken and I stopped at a market on the opposite side of the canal.  We had taken the trolley for lunch and stopped at the market.  It was closing but Gill immediately bought  the board to take home to her sister.  She urged me to buy one for myself but I refused.  We had just sold lots and lots of our stuff from the farm and I did not want to acquire anything more.  So I did not buy a board for myself.

But when we got back to our condo, Gill gave me one and told me to use it for our sunset food.  We nibble with good stuff while watching the sun set so Ken has always called those munchies "sunset food".  We have used that board ever since so it has gotten much use, so much so that the frequent washings have turned the wood very light.  But we still used it.

This season, Ken brought a can of Board butter which is beeswax and mineral oil, intended to bring the grain back to life and to preserve the wood.  Now it looks spectacular.  The board is a perfect size and we have used it every evening.  But now the board looks beautiful, thanks to Ken.  First he rubbed the stuff.  Than after allowing the board to dry he polished it.  Gill would be pleased.

No comments: