Wednesday, September 13, 2023

September 13, 2023. Western Head, Nova Scotia. The Gaspe Peninsula.

 In 1962 Ken and I drove around the Gaspe Peninsula in the province of Quebec.  We were traveling in our Volkswagen 1953 bug.  And we were camping.  We had a wonderful time.  When we were traveling, we noted the lack of tourists.  It was late in August but we pretty much had the place to ourselves.  The topography was beautiful and the people friendly even though we did not speak French.  And most folks did not speak English.  But we managed just fine and we had a favorable opinion of the place.

Right now, Wendy and Ken are driving the Gaspe.  I had encouraged them to make the journey.  Of course, they are traveling in a different manner.  They are driving a modern good sized car.  And they are staying in hotels and inns.  And they are eating in restaurants, which we did not.  But the drive will be the same.  And they have the internet to provide them information about where they are doing.  

Their first day the weather was fine but on day 2 they had rain and fog.  We were fortunate to have fine weather the whole time.  But I will be interested to know how remote the place still is, or if there are now crowds of people.  Wendy has never heard anyone else she knows who have made the trip, except for Ken and I in 1962.  Wendy is writing a blog, called Wandering with Wendy, so I am eagerly awaiting every days events.  I am having fun making this vicarious trip with them.  And I await the similarities and differences.  Such fun for me.  And I wish them well.

No comments: