Wednesday, May 10, 2017

May 10, 2017. Madison, Mississippi. The Attic.

Years ago in Nova Scotia, when I sat in the living room I often could hear slight pitter patter of feet in the ceiling.  The sounds were very quiet and infrequent but I knew something had gotten into the wall and in the ceiling between the floors.  We looked everywhere to find a hole in the basement.  And we installed blown in insulation to the basement.  But I still could hear the scurrying.  Then one day I looked out the window and a cute red squirrel was sitting on the rail.  Then he ran down the path to the lawn area and suddenly disappeared.  Ken discovered that a drain coming out of the basement, which ends in the center of the walkway, once held a screen over the end.  But it had been partly moved so those cute little red squirrels were able to run up the drain  and into the house.  Once we covered the drain, the scurrying ceased.  We were pleased.

This time in Mississippi, every so often I could hear  sounds in the attic.  It was always right at the edge of the roof so I was not really sure that a squirrel was not on the roof but I wanted to be sure, so this week, the exterminator came and got up into the attic.  He found no evidence of squirrels but he did show me rodent trailings.  He put out lots of bait and the next time he is here he will look more carefully to find any hole.  The sounds could be heard about once a week.  Ken never did hear them.  Now every time the exterminator comes to treat the house for bugs, he will also check the attic.  I do not want to have any sounds coming from the attic anymore.

No comments: