Wednesday, May 3, 2017

May 3, 2017. Madison, Mississippi. Ladies Lunch.

Today I invited 5 ladies for lunch.   Our event was delightful.  I always think that a social event is more lively and interesting if the guests do not know each other, and that was the situation today.  Two of the ladies I met at Susan M.'s home when we had lunch.  The four of us just hit it off and we had lots of fun.  Near the end of the lunch, I suggested that the next time we meet for lunch will be at our new home, so we did.  Of course, it took me over a year to get us together but finally we did.  In addition, I invited Christina, my wonderful daughter in law and her sister in law, Katy.  We had a splendid time.

We do not entertain much at home here so today gave me an excuse to use the crystal, silver and china. The dining table looked lovely.  And the food was even good!!  But the most important item was the people.  Except for Christina and me, the other four ladies are from Mississippi.  In fact they are for many generations Mississippians.  They are very rooted to Mississippi and would never consider moving.   We discussed the question of whether rooted in place is genetic.  Lanette and her husband own a condo in Oxford.  They both attended school there and attend all the games so many years ago they bought a condo, with enough space so the children and grandchildren can visit them there.  She laughed because now that she has 2 grandchildren at school at the University, she is having too much company.   One grandchild came over and Lanette was already in her robe.

Entertaining at noon is a good thing to do.  We drank lemonade before lunch and the meal was simple, of salad followed by Lourdes' chicken soup with key lime pie for dessert.  Light and easy and quick.  Everyone was gone by 2:30.  And the best part was that everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.  But they all do wonder how Ken and I can cheerfully pick up and move every few months.  I did not tell them that both of us have a bit of ADD.

No comments: