Tuesday, May 9, 2017

May 9, 2017. Madison, Mississippi. Making A Plan.

Apparently, many people have difficulty making a plan.   Just this week, two different folks have mentioned that they had always wanted to go to Nova Scotia, but so far they had not been able to get there.   "I would love to go to Nova Scotia", is what they say, but they do nothing about getting there.   The estate planners commented to us that most of their older clients have often mentioned about making a life style just like us, but they do nothing about doing it, even though the clients have lots more money than we do.  The lack of planning is what interests me.   Friends will e mail and tell me they are definitely coming to visit, and I tell them dates,  then I never hear from them again, until the next Christmas card when they will once again tell me we would definitely see them next year.  It is fascinating.

My response is to say nothing.  I understand that lots of people do not really enjoy traveling, which is fine, but then do not pretend that you want to go.   I often think I should teach a short course on making a plan and implementing that plan.  It is not rocket science.  It is merely deciding what you want to do then gather information.  Next, make decisions as to time and money.  I just kind of shake my head and smile and agree, that going places is difficult.   Actually, going places is lots better than staying in one place but these folks will never know because they do not start with a plan.   Seems elementary to me.

No comments: