Friday, May 5, 2017

May 5, 2017. Madison, Mississippi. Our 60th.

Planning a big event takes almost 2 years, especially if you are not living in the place of the party.  Starting a year ago, I started talking to family members about celebrating our 60th wedding anniversary, which will be in 2018.  My head was full of options but everything I suggested met with resistance.  Nothing seemed to be a good idea.   So I stopped thinking about it and I told everyone that we were not having a big event.  I suspect in the back of most peoples minds was the reality of whether or not either Ken or I would still be alive to celebrate.   But I knew that Ken and I would celebrate, even if we were celebrating alone.

I have always wanted to cruise the great American rivers.  Up until now, it was impossible, unless you hired your own boat and crew.  The American Cruise Line now offers river cruises on American rivers, so today I checked the internet and the telephone to discover that a cruise exists going down the whole Mississippi River, from St. Paul to New Orleans, a journey of 15 days.  My prayers have been answered.  We intend to fly from Nova Scotia to S.Paul and cruise all the way down the Mississippi, beginning October 8, 2018.   One boat from beginning to the end.  Small new boat for 150 passengers, with a balcony.  I have not booked it yet but we will probably do it tomorrow.  I am delighted.

No comments: