Tuesday, May 23, 2017

May 23, 2017. San Antonio, Texas. Water.

Yesterday morning I awoke to hear digging.  We have not been told by David or Suzanne about any construction in their yard so I assumed the workers were in the street so I paid no attention.  Ken looked out the front and saw men working on the street.  We ignored them which was a mistake.  At 10:30, the doorbell rang.  Ken had just told me that he was taking a shower while I was reading while drinking my second cup of tea.  I was wearing my nightshirt and robe.  The man told me that the valve in the water system needed replacing so the water would be off for about three hours.  I quickly alerted Ken.

No one else was home so being without water for 3 hours was no problem.  Every 2 hours the nice working man came to the door with an update.  I asked them about time and he always told me "The water will be on in 2 or 3 hours".  Every time the same story, which I laughed.  Neither of us had showered.

When the water will not run, lots of things do not work.  Soon the girls began appearing.  Abigail went to the gym to shower.  Sarah and friend Grace just forgot about showering and went to camp.  I drank cranberry juice.  Between the house and the office/garage there are 5 toilets.  By the time the water was finally turned on at 6:00, we had only 1 toilet left to flush...No dished could be run nor wine glasses washed.  And I refused to dress, and instead wore my robe all day and evening.  We have never lived without running water in our houses except in Nova Scotia when the well ran dry.  But there we were always prepared with bottles of water.  But not yesterday.  No water meant no water.   It was strange.

No comments: