Sunday, October 13, 2019

October 13, 2019. Madison, Mississippi. My Helpers.

Some things I just can not do by myself. In Nova Scotia, I can not carry a laundry basket either up or down the stairs. I have no trouble going up or down by myself. When I returned to Mississippi, my old helper Kashina, offered to work with me the day after I arrived which I appreciated. Many tasks we did together I could have done myself. I just would have gotten the job more slowly. But I was interested to note the number of tasks she did for me that I could not have been able to accomplish on my own. I tried to set the clock by my bed but the print is too small even with my reading glasses so I was forced to leave the task for Kashina. My computer plug fits into a power bar on the table and I could not see to put in the plug. I needed a small purse calendar so when we were at the drug store to get my prescriptions, we looked on the shelf with all the calendars. By the time I had gotten my reading glasses on, she had found the 2 year calendar I wanted. Task done. It would have taken me fifteen minutes. I am healthy but I do have difficulties. My vision is good straight ahead and I must use reading glasses for everything. The problem is that my vision seems to change from time to time. Every set of reading glasses is different but nothing works very well so close up tasks are difficult. So I need the eyes of my helper. When I get up, it is obvious that I am old. Until I get a bit of speed walking, my balance is not good. Standing alone I must hold on to something. I am like a bicycle. I see the eye doctor on Thursday. My Oncologist is so confident that my next scan is in mid November. The bottom line is that I look great sitting still or walking quickly. But vision remains a challenge. Not bad for someone approaching 82. Thanks to my helpers, I function very well.

No comments: