Friday, October 25, 2019

October 25, 2019. Madison, Mississippi. Free Speech.

Over the years, I have noted that people only want to hear ideas that are the same as themselves. It seems to be getting worse. Universities will not allow speakers to have concepts of which the University does not approve. And if a speaker begins to speak, groups disrupt the speech. So free speech is under attack. Of course, people are polite and do not raise issues at social events. And you always hear not to discuss politics or religion at family gatherings. But these days free speech has been eroded. When I was studying the Constitution, I learned that yelling Fire in a crowded building does not constitute free speech. Rather it is against the law. Many years ago, I raised opposition to abortions. Whoever the group I was with came after me with a-vengeance. We did not have a discussion. They knew I was wrong. I learned not to bring the subject out in public. It was not worth the fight. A few years ago at Playa Royale, several ladies were in the deep end talking pleasantly. One lady mentioned that Hillary Clinton was a wonderful Sect. of State. I asked one question. And I asked it pleasantly. I asked, "What good things has she done?" Rather than tell me the answer, the lady tore into me, telling me how wonderful Hillary was and how terrible I was to question her.. But she did not give me answers. And the lady never spoke to me again, which did not matter a bit. In other countries, people go to jail for expressing ideas that are not to the liking of the authorities. But in the US people have been injured by groups who do not like their ideas. The term Illegal Immigrant has been banned in some places. It is alarming but true that free speech is not what it used to be.

No comments: