Friday, June 19, 2020

June 19, 2020. Madison, Mississippi. Crepe Myrtle.

In Maryland, crepe myrtle bushes and trees bloom in late August and September. At least it is what I recall enjoying the only color in town late in the summer season. We lived there for 40 years. The Spring blossoms were everywhere and gorgeous. Daffadlils, forsythia, azaleas, dogwoods, plum and pear blossoms and of course the cherry blossoms. But then comes the heat and most color leaves the foliage. But then come the crepe myrtles. I loved them even though some gardeners thought them common. Now I live in Mississippi and everything comes earlier than in Maryland. All the crepe myrtle bushes and trees are in bloom and they are lovely. They are up and down every street and boulevard. White, purple and pink. And they are magnificent. There is a controversy with gardeners in Mississippi. Many people cut down all the blossoms leaving the branches look dead. Or another habit is to just leave the blossoms and branches alone and allow the bush to blossom the next year. Christina's sister in law calls the practice "crepe murder". And she does not like it. On public property, the bushes are all cut back. Much to my surprise the blossoms come back the next season and look wonderful. When I first saw them cut back so severely I felt sure they would never bloom again, but they do. We are up to our eyeballs in crepe myrtle trees and bushes here in Mississippi. We have had lots of rain and not much high temperatures so I think the blossoms will last quite a while, which will please me. When I get to Nova Scotia I will see flowering bushes and dogwood trees so I see Spring in more than one place. Pretty nifty transition.

No comments: