Tuesday, June 30, 2020

June 30, 2020. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Observations.

Traveling is different today in the era of Covid. When I checked in at the United agent, he told me that some planes would be more than 40% full. And he asked me if I wanted to wait for a less full flight. I told him that I would take my chances and went to my gate. The first flight from Jackson to Houston was full, which surprised me. No food. No beverage service. Everyone wearing masks. No pillows. No blankets. No magazines. The new normal. The next flight from Houston to Toronto was about one third full. But the biggest shock was seeing over 40 planes parked closely together at the side of the airport. I am sure that other airlines have the same situation. You wonder how those airlines will ever survive. I was expecting no food but upon arrival I was given a plastic bag with a bottle of water, rubber gloves, hand sanitizer bottle and a mask. Then was was offered lunch, which was a box of food, which turned out to be tasty. No tea or coffee. And the food box was prepackages off site. The flight from Toronto to Halifax was half full. And the exact same lunch box was given to me, along with a second plastic bag of health items. The airports themselves are not a bit crowded. But every soap dispenser in every bathroom had empty soap dispensers. I did laugh, because as we were being admonished to wash with soap and water, I find no soap. The airlines are desperate to get people back flying. and it is an easy time to fly, except for the long layovers for the next flight≥. The last time I flew when taking chemo and had low immuuity I was the only person wearing a mask. But not yesterday. Everyone wearing masks. And tests for temperatures before boarding. More forms going through customs in Toronto along with lists of rules. But no wait at Customs and Immigration. Certainly a new normal.

No comments: