Tuesday, June 9, 2020

June 9, 2020. Madison, Mississippi. The Hostess.

I love to see someone perform an ordinary task and turn it into something remarkable and special. Sunday at Saltines I observed such an event. My driver Forrest walked me right up the hostess and asked me to take the arm of the hostess who would take me to a table. She assured him that she would look after me. So now I was holding the arm of the hostess while I was asking to be seated at a table in the corner. We would be 4, but I told her about my immune system. Immediately she assured me that she has something better for me, which was a private dining room. Now I had been to that restaurant many times but now I was being taken to a private room which was perfect for me. While we were walking along the long hall, I asked her to tell my family where I would be, because I was afraid they would never find me. And I described my family: tall beautiful daughter in law and two lovely grandchildren. The hostess immediately commented that the other family members would not be as beautiful as you. And we laughed but I told her that they were all more beautiful than me. The hostess took me to my seat, then left to look after the new customers. And she admonished me to enjoy my meal. Now I was delighted to be in a separate room and delighted that I had such a pleasant encounter with the hostess. I have been taken to a table by a hostess hundreds of times, but this hostess made the interaction memorable. She clearly enjoyed her job and went out of her way to be sure everyone was enjoying themselves too. It does not take much to elevate the good to the level of extraordinary. But on Sunday I got to observe it in action. Pretty nice.

No comments: