Thursday, June 25, 2020

June 25, 2020. Madison, Mississippi. Power Failure.

All was well in my neighborhood, The storm and heavy rain of the afternoon had passed and the lake was quiet. The time was 5:45 and I walked toward the kitchen to prepare my orange drink. I noticed that the lights were not on but thought I had not yet flipped the switch. The lights were not working in the kitchen. I had experienced a power failure. I have lived here since the beginning of March and had experienced many storms, both big and small without any loss of electricity. Now when the storm has passed, we are without power. I learned on their hotline that an automobile had hit and damaged a piece of equipment. Repairmen were on the way and they hope the power would be restored by 10:30. So I planned my evening in the dark. First I drank my orange drink in the TV room, while looking at the lake. When it was still light, I set out all the flashlights. Next I read my e mails. Fortunately I was out for lunch today for I was not intending to cook so I took my yoghurt and apple and sat again in my swivel chair in the TV and watched light disappearing. It was lovely, something I never have done before. And I watched the boats heading for the docks. Using the flashlight I walked to the kitchen to return the plate and container. At night without any lights I am anxious about missing the walk to the bedroom and instead find the stairs to downstairs. While I was still drinking a glass of water and looking out at the lake, the power came back on. I always think of Texas farm folks who received electricity much later than in the cities. It must have been like magic. At home tonight, while I sat looking out at the dark night, the lights in the house all came on. Even though my power was out for only three hours, I laughed out loud when the electric lights came back to life. "Welcome to my world," I said.

No comments: