Friday, June 5, 2020

June 5, 2002. Madison, Mississippi. A Really Big Storm.

We have big storms in Mississippi. Everyone watches the weather and prepares for whatever is coming. And they stay home. Today I had not seen any TV so had no warning that a storm was coming. But come it did. Fortunately I was home to weather the storm. I was reading on my iPad when the wind started blowing. Then I was listening to a video. The wind was so strong I could not hear the music. Then the rain came down, harder than I had ever heard it before. I was sitting at the end of the couch and really wanted to look out but I was afraid to get close to the windows. I wanted to look at the waves to see if they were breaking over my neighbors dock but I stayed in place. The noise of the wind and the rain was so loud that I began to think we were having a tornado. Here people have safe places to go during a tornado and hurricane but I do not have a safe place. I did actually wonder if I should go downstairs to get away from the windows but I stayed in my place. I have never heard such noise during a storm. And I have never wondered if I should go downstairs during a storm, so this was a big one. But like all Mississippi storms, it did not last long. Soon the winds stopped blowing and finally the rain. When I did go out front the air was deathly still. Everything was quiet. Branches and chunks of leaves had fallen and the furniture on the deck was rearranged. But the power did not go out and no big trees came down around my house. This storm was a Daddy of a storms. I have skylights and lots of windows so the rain and wind makes a loud sound inside the house. Mostly I love those storms but this one was so loud it scared even me. It came so quickly that I was caught off guard. I usually keep a flashlight right beside me in any storm. But after an hour, peace was restored. Now all is well. I had weathered another Mississippi storm.

No comments: