Friday, March 17, 2023

March 17, 2023. Madison, Mississippi. Lunch at the Sutherlands.

 Eleanor and Jim are good friends.  They built a magnificent house in Madison, which I love.  When friends or family visit me, I always ask if we could come and tour their house.  They always say yes, which I appreciate.  This time when I asked if Sara Lou could see their home, Eleanor not only said yes, but she suggested that we we should come for lunch.  And to be even better, Jim was not working that day so could join us.  Eleanor also invited Susan M., also my friend.  I knew we were in for a treat.  And I was correct.

We started by sitting in the living room drinking herbal tea.  The tea  was served in white china mugs, poured from a lovely china tea pot.  That was the first stage of a most elegant luncheon.  While we talked, Jim took Sara Lou on a tour of the house.  Then we retreated to the beautiful dining room, all set with linen place mats, silver and crystal.  Eleanor is an excellent cook and enjoys experimenting so we ate moroccan meatballs and sautéed squash, with home made herbal biscuits and a yoghurt sauce.  The meal was delicious and I ate everything, even the biscuits, which I am not supposed to eat.

Eleanor made an apricot dessert served in wine glasses.  But I said "No thank you."  This lunch was delightful and both Sara Lou and I enjoyed ourselves thoroughly.  I feel grateful that I have friends who not only invite us to tour their home but also invite us for a wonderful meal.  What a treat.

No comments: