Saturday, March 18, 2023

March 18, 2023. Madison, Mississippi. World Baseball Tournament.

 I found about this baseball tournament accidentally.  I went to bed in Mexico expecting to watch a few minutes of hockey before going to sleep.  As I have a TV in my bedroom in Mexico, I had gotten in the habit of watching the end of the game on a Canadian channel.  But I was late that night and much to my surprise, I was watching baseball.  I had no idea about the game so the next day we looked it up and learned all about the tournament, which is held every 4 years.  You must qualify  to get into the tournament and each player plays for their home country.  The tournament takes place in several countries all over the world with the finals being played in Miami.

I knew nothing about this tournament and evidently no one else knows about the tournament tooo.  I have asked several people if they had watched any games and the answer s were always NO.  I have enjoyed the games.  I watched the quarter final game between Mexico and Puerto Rico.  Mexico won in the last inning so it was exciting.  And tonight the US beat Venezuela, another come from behind game.  The quality of play is very high with most players professionals playing for MLB.  But in the opening round robin section, many teams fielded amateurs who worked for a living but loved baseball.

In 2017, the US won the tournament.  Now the US team will play a semi final game.  The commentators all think that Mexico has the best team.  But we must watch them play the games.  In Miami, the stadiums are sold out, especially as the US will play Cuba.  The games being played in Tokyo are not as well attended.  It is an interesting tournament.  We call it The World Series here but this tournament is truly a World Tournament with the players playing for their home country.  I am enjoying the games.

No comments: