Friday, March 31, 2023

March 31, 2023. Madison, Mississippi. Walkers.

Walkers are a huge help to those of us who are a bit unstable.  They allow me to be independent.  When I was in the hospital in December, the physical therapists stopped by to check to see if I would be able to go home and live by myself.  I discovered that they did not like my walkers with their big wheels.  They preferred the walkers that you must pick up in order to walk.  The reason is that the wheels get away from you.  I just laughed and told them that I would stick to my walkers with the big wheels.  But I promised that I would be careful.

I did find that when going down a ramp, I was fearful of going too fast so I was forced to having someone hold on the walker to slow me down.  I know I could use the brakes but somehow or another I can not slow down by myself.  I have no trouble going up a ramp, but down ramps make me nervous.  

The other evening as I turned from the computer, I inadvertently pushed  the walker which was right behind me.  It scooted right across the breakfast room and ended up beside the table on the other side of the room.  I just laughed.  Then I had to figure out how to safely get over to the walker.  Fortunately, I use a desk chair on wheels so I pulled my feel along the floor.  So I was rescued.  That was the only time when the wheels of the walker got away from me.

Once in Mexico, Wendy and I were doing something in the living room.  When she left for the beach, I realized that she had left the walker on the other side of the room.  I could not figure out how to safely retrieve the walker, so I just waited until Wendy returned.  And we laughed.  I had been stuck in place.  Without my walkers, I would really be stuck in place.  Hats off to walkers.

No comments: