Saturday, March 25, 2023

March 25, 2023. Madison, Mississippi. Another Storm.

I went to sleep last night happy.  The storm had passed me by so I was safe to sleep in my bed.  Every spot in a Mississippi house has a safe place, an area in the house well away from windows and far away from the outside walls.  If possible, you go to the basements but as very few houses in Mississippi have a basement, that best option is not available.  So everyone designates a safe place for the family to go to in the event a tornado is coming your way.  But that storm was east of me, so I went to bed.

But in the middle of the night I awoke to hear loud thunder.  And heavy rain and wind.  I went back to sleep.  When I got up, the lights were not working so I knew a storm had hit our area.  It turned out to be a deadly storm.  The storm went just north of Jackson, actually not too far from me.  I had heard the edges of the storm, which came with a tornado that touched down a bit east of me and a bit north.  The tornado was deadly.  People killed and injured while I slept on.  

These tornadoes are what catches peoples attention.  They are unpredictable and deadly.  So Mississippi people listen to the TV and radio.  And they stay home during a storm.  The Notary we met with on Tuesday would not come into work on Monday because of the forecast of a storm.   Fortunately, the storms here do not last long but it can rain hard for long periods of time.  So I too stay home during a storm.  That still does not make me a Mississippian.  That takes several generations.

No comments: