Wednesday, March 22, 2023

March 22, 2023. Madison, Mississippi. Excursion to Vicksburg.

Last week when we were in Natchez with Sara Lou, we ate friend green tomatoes as an appetizer to share. They were good.  But Chris told us about a restaurant in Vicksburg that serves fried green tomatoes that are even better.  Today, Chris and I drove to Vicksburg to eat fried green tomatoes at Rusty's.  Chris was correct.  They were better.  Again we shared them as an appetizer.  First they dip the tomatoes in a batter and fry them.  Next the put crab meat on top.  Finally  a cheese sauce is placed over the tomatoes and crab and heat them again.  They are delicious.  Well worth the drive.

We left at 9:30 and again drove on the Natchez Trace.  Again, no traffic.  But there were more new leaves on the trees.  One week of sunshine brought out the leaves.  We went directly to the restaurant on the main street.  I ate soft shell crabs, plus a salad and a baked sweet potato.  I brought one crab home along with the salad, which I ate at supper.  We drove home directly because Chris had an appointment at 3:00.  But again, we had a good time.  We drove along the water front before we headed for home.

I had not eaten soft shell crabs since we moved from Maryland.  I enjoyed them today but I prefer the ones in Maryland.  The last time I ate them In Maryland they were sautéed in butter with slivered almonds.  Delicious.  Perhaps it is my poor vision, but I thought that Vicksburg looked all spruced up and shining.  This is good.  Perhaps these river towns are coming back to life.  I hope so.

No comments: