Saturday, July 16, 2016

July 16, 2016. Western Head, Nova Scotia. A Coming and Going Party.

Tonight we had a party, the first of the season.  The purpose of the celebration was to say good bye to the Sutherland Family and to welcome us for the summer season.   Ken and I were delighted to see our friends especially as last summer I kept myself isolated.  But now I am healthy which is certainly worth celebrating.   I always think that parties are best if some guests are new.  This was true tonight. Four people were here who had moved to Western Head recently and one couple were visiting a friend of ours.  This always makes for lively conversation.

The teenagers were a big help setting up for the party.  They moved chairs, iced the beer and helped set up the bar.  And when the party was over they helped again.  Between the caterer and the kids, the house and kitchen were in perfect order within 15 minutes.  The kids were a major asset.

Gill actually invited the guests.  I was not yet in Nova Scotia so Gill became the social secretary.  She took her task seriously and did a good job.  On Thursday, we had a discussion about the food.  I said we were having no appetizers.  Gill was adamant in her advocating for appetizers.  She was right.  I talked with Faye the caterer and appetizers were served:  scallops and stuffed mushrooms which were delicious.  Gill won the argument.  The appetizers were a hit.

Having a caterer handle the food at a party is a great blessing.   I can spend my time talking to the guests rather than cooking or serving.   And when the party has ended the kitchen was clean.   Ken and I were pleased to see our Nova Scotia friends once again.  Having a party is a perfect opportunity to get them all together.  Now we look forward to the rest of the summer.

No comments: